Perioperative Medicine has been defined as the care of patients from the time they contemplate surgery through the operative period to full recovery at home.
The course is aimed at medical practitioners working in this emerging field. It has been designed to facilitate the delivery of collaborative and optimal perioperative care to patients presenting with complex, chronic and acute medical conditions requiring surgical intervention.
Note: It is not the purpose of this course to act as a pathway into specialty training in Australia. Completion of this course leads to a Graduate Certificate qualification but not to Specialist recognition. Such recognition is only granted by the relevant Australian and New Zealand specialty Colleges as per their individual requirements. This course may be used to lead into the Master of Perioperative Medicine M6033 course if credit is applied within 7 years of completion of the Graduate Certificate of Perioperative Medicine M4029.
Note: The Graduate Certificate of Medicine name title has been amended to Graduate Certificate of Perioperative Medicine from 2022 onwards. The course code remains the same. The new title is only applicable to students commencing study in 2022 and onwards.
- Offered completely online: No On-Campus attendance (i.e. no face-to-face contact).
- Course Admission is offered in Semester 1 and Semester 2 (International and Domestic applications).
- 24 credit point course
- Two 12 credit point units must be completed from a choice of either POM5101, POM5102, and POM5103.
- Time commitment: 20-24 hours per unit per week for 12 credit point unit.
- Provides a pathway to the Master of Perioperative Medicine course M6033, with credit received for units passed in the Graduate Certificate of Perioperative Medicine M4029 within 7 years of course completion.